Happy 2020, y’all! I’ve been feeling the energies of this year for a while now. They started creeping in during December and I am so excited to finally sit down + write about it all here. When I write something, it feels like it becomes part of my soul + psyche, moving from my head to my heart. From an idea + a thought to an embodied action.
Speaking of action, that’s what this year is all about. But, not some kind of hurried, rushed, intense, get shit done action. Instead, it is a very mindful, intentional, focused, unfolding action. But, it is action nonetheless. Alright, let me back up + begin from the beginning.
I have felt personally + collectively that we have been in a time of inward focus for years now. An era of looking in, discovering, healing, and internal growth. It’s been a very necessary time of building a foundation, learning deep truths about ourselves + the world. For me, this period has lasted for about 10 years I think. And I sank deep, deep, deep into my soul in the past 2-3 years. Oh, how I have pulled up so much from the earth + pulled down from the cosmos, gathering my power within me, acknowledging + understanding my soul medicine, releasing + letting go of old habits, and clearing the way for a whole new age to come in.
With 2020, that new age has arrived. And I know nothing about it. I just know it feels so very different now. And the energy that is swirling around is outward, active, and visionary. It is time that I am meant to take all that I have learned + bring it out right smack dab in the middle of my life. It is my time to rise, to literally live my truth. To emerge from the deep, mystical grounded-ness of the past few years and gently embody my soul’s purpose.
And that’s what I’m gonna do. ‘Cause I mean business.
This morning, on my last day of my holidays, I woke at 10:02. Ridiculously late for me! But, it’s that damn jetlag. Anyway, it felt shitty that I woke so late. Even though I knew that I needed the sleep. Still, I had planned a morning of meditation + visioning. Something I have not done at all during the holidays – as spending time with my family in the States was my main focus. So, I was really looking forward to this morning’s spiritual rituals to get me connected into my soul’s journey in 2020.
Even though I was bummed out, I decided to go with the flow anyway. I made my coffee, sat down, reflected + released some of the negative/sad energy that I have been carrying with me from earth (Australian fires + war with Iran) and then I put my phone in another room.
As I opened my journal and began writing, I realized that putting my phone down was something that I want + need to do. I made a note of that and began listing the energies that I feel as this new year, this new decade, this new era begins. Before long, I had a long list of words that rose from my soul. In addition, I scribbled down 4 words of archetypes/female energy that I want to embody this year.
On the page beside, I wrote the word “Intentions”. And then I proceeded to spontaneously jot down about 12 or so intentions I have or would like to have for the upcoming year. Basically I wrote down goals y’all. And I don’t like goals or resolutions or all of those things. But, suddenly, I had a whole list right in front of me.
As I looked at my energy word list + my intentions list + then back at my energies list + once more at my intentions list, I realized that I had written down + defined ways that I can get down to the business of gently emerging + rising into this new year. I had created my own inspiration, that rose from my soul, to begin this new era right in front of me.
And it magically it has appeared as my own medicine for mind, body, and soul.
So, without further ado, and after about 5 years (or more!) of refusing to set goals or even write down concrete intentions, I share with you now the ways that I intend to embody, emerge, and rise throughout 2020.
- I am determined to have waaaaay less screen time on computers + phones. How much less, I don’t know. But I’ve already deleted Facebook. (No worries, I am keeping Instagram for now).
- I intend to write for myself every week. It could simply be a discipline for my private journal or it could be my way of creating a book to publish. We shall see!
- I want to read. A lot. And about one subject. To really study + get my nerd on. The subject? Witches!
- I plan to make a way for me to enroll in a meditation teacher training program. Bam!
- I want to move more. In whatever way feels right. Yoga? Dance? A gym (highly, highly doubtful!)? Night walks?
- I am going to eat healthy. Less processed. More seasonal, local, homemade food I love. No diets! Just balanced + in season.
- I plan to get wild + spend more time outside. To commune with nature. And let her heal me. Touching trees, wandering by streams, exploring new places, just being out in the fresh air.
- I will cook at home more. No lazy meals every day either. I’m not gonna be perfect, but I am going to cook more – and Lina doesn’t know it yet, but we’re doing it together!
- I intend to meditate every damn day at some point. Long. Short. Morning. Lunch. Whenever. Just a regular routine of mindfuness.
- I plan to travel. Though I have no real plans yet. I’d like to get out of town at least once a month – is that possible?!
- I am going to keep blogging + sending out random newsletters. There will be no schedule or plan. But, I do know that I will document life here + write whatever in my little letters.
- I want to practice + create even more rituals. Just for myself. For now. Using my favorite tools: cards, candles, moon phases, seasons.
I can’t believe I have a list of concrete intentions! It’s not that I was against them before, it’s just that I had only one intention for a while: to be. I needed to be slow, to literally live an inward, slow life. Almost like a hermit. My only focus was, well, me. Honestly, though, at the beginning of every new year, I always felt a quite weird, like something was wrong with me. Why couldn’t I set goals or intentions? Why didn’t I have dreams? Where was my inspiration?
Finally last year, I said, “Fuck it.” And I embraced the fact that I had no goals or dreams. That I was perfectly satisfied in the slow present moment. And, more importantly, that I needed to be there.
However, with the turning of the calendar year, the beginning of a new decade, and within this deep winter season that began after last October’s Samhain (Halloween), I know that a new era has arrived. The time has come for me to be free. To choose to rise + act. And to do so with a discerning mind + an open heart. It is time for me to move into the truth that I have learned + begin to offer it, to take action aligned with what I know is true. It’s time to be free to say “This is who I am and this is what I came to do.” To step out of the shadows, to emerge from the underground.
2020 is for embodying my unique soul medicine so that I become part of the change + action that the world needs at this time right now. How that looks for me and how it shows up in my life is yet to be known. But, what I do know is that as 2020 begins, I am free to embody my soul. So that is exactly what I intend to do. And this year I mean business.
Happy 2020, wild souls! xoxo. liz.