the sacred everyday

the week that was filled with all the little things // 11

22 Mar 2016

Still no internet folks. And still no data on my phone. So, my life has been looking and feeling very different lately. But, I’ve been learning so much, and reflecting even more.

I’m at work, using the Internet here, silk blogging on my phone. But, I thought I’d squeeze out my weekly update (2 days late!) in about five minutes. So, here come tons of photos and not so many words. I’ll let the images speak for themselves…

As I look through these photos of mine from the past week, while sitting in my chair at work and preparing this post, winding up a day jam-packed with intense conversations with students, feeling the pain of another when I hear a student say that she doesn’t feel like anyone sees or hears her, and trying to come up with creative ways for teachers to work with students who learn or act a little bit differently, my heart aches + things feel heavy. I ache for the broken teenagers, who face such deep and difficult things in their lives… I ache for victims of violence + terror. And for the suffering and fear that grips us all in so many different ways and on different levels. And I find myself wondering… how long?

And then, I feel my soul swell with gratitude for simply being alive. Gratitude for the little things in life. And gratitude that, perhaps my life just might be used in some little way, to help ease some of the pain and bring about an inkling of hope.

Sending love and light… and deep peace to you all.

xoxo

liz

• Reply Farm Girl 23 Mar 2016 at 02:08

Life is hard. Especially if you’re a teenager, every set-back feels like the end of the world.
    I have thought about that a lot, too: How can we help them? The only thing I came up with is telling them that we have all felt like this at one point. It might feel like the end of the world, but it really isn’t. Life will get better, and easier as well; all they have to do is hang in there, somehow.
    Try not to take it too much to heart! I know it’s hard, but unfortunately, we have to go through this in order to become adults.
    P.S. I REALLY hope you’ll get your internet this week!

• Reply Liz 23 Mar 2016 at 22:02

What a thoughtful and sweet comment, Miriam! I’ve worked with troubled teens for all of my professional life – about 20 years, so if there’s one thing I can do, it is to leave my work at work. My deep aching comes from a place of compassion, so no worries! I’m not taking any of it too heavily, and I am the first person to remind each of them that life gets better. 🙂 That’s the belief that I base all of my work on, why I do what I do.

I sure do hope that you are doing week, sweet lady!!

• Reply Holly 23 Mar 2016 at 08:10

Your new place looks fab!! Hope you’re both settling in well!
    ALso – snow! I’m really pleased spring is definitely landing here… but we’ve had no snow!
    I wish I liked beer/guiness type stuff – the pint looks so good but I just really don’t! Though we’re off to Dublin next weekend so maybe I’ll try a half there?!
    Have a good week Liz!

• Reply Liz 23 Mar 2016 at 21:57

Thanks, love! We are so unbelievably happy here! And yes… freaking snow. Sometime in May it’ll start feeling like spring. 🙂 You just have to try a Guinness in Dublin! I’ve never tasted one as good as the one I had there! Enjoy your trip!

• Reply Louise Gallagher 23 Mar 2016 at 13:38

Love that you watch TV by candlelight! 🙂

and yes, this — “my life just might be used in some little way, to help ease some of the pain and bring about an inkling of hope.” is important — and it is what you do with every breath.

Hugs

• Reply Liz 23 Mar 2016 at 21:55

My dear Louise, ever so kind and understanding. Much love to you. xx

• Reply journeytribe 23 Mar 2016 at 19:58

Loved this post Liz. Your photos are gorgeous and your sentiments are heartfelt. x

• Reply Liz 23 Mar 2016 at 21:54

Oh, Rachel, thank you so very much. Hope all is well with you. xo

• Reply Rachel 29 Mar 2016 at 19:29

The bedroom is coming together beautifully here. <3 I always say that I would live the decade of my 20s over and over but wouldn't do a single year of my teens over again. What an honorable job you do.