it’s the last day of april and spring has sprung in the northern hemisphere. fall is on the way for those of you south of the equator. and it’s time to embark on what i consider one of the most beautiful months of the year. in my world, it warms up. the flowers burst. the sun shines. and everyone is buzzing around, busy and feeling alive again. we’re all like butterflies flitting about, excited to have a little more energy again.
now, whether it’s spring or fall, we can all use a little more energy and inspiration and kick to help us follow our dreams. i’m a big dreamer, you know. but, how do we know what are dreams are, what goals we have, or what to put on our bucket lists, if we don’t know who we are? and i mean all sides of us!
a few months ago, i stumbled upon a website that “analyzes” your blog/website and then gives you a diagnosis… what type of personality you have. i think it’s fun to think about these kinds of things, but they are also useful for all the reasons i stated above (= following your dreams!). so, for the month of may, i challenge you to join me in a journey of self-discovery. what is your heart like? your soul, your mind, your body? who are you from the inside out? and who do you want to be?
i’m a big believer in being. who we are defines what we do, and not the other way around. it’s not about what we do that tells others who i am, but who we are. i am more than a writer, a theologian, a wife, a sister, a daughter, an american, an ex-pat. i am all of those things, but i am so much more that that as well. it goes deeper than my roles and titles. and once i have a firm grasp on who i am today (and i mean only today because we are ever-changing and transforming), then what i do will naturally flow out of me.
so, i want to explore myself a little more in may. perhaps this desire to embark on a journey of self-discovery is a result of the changes that are coming to my life in about 2 months. i am moving form sweden to the states, and once again, the possibilities seem endless. another chance to follow my dreams and start over is upon me once again.
the other thing that is important to me is the idea of living an authentic life… of being exactly who you are. because all of us are unique, beautiful, and wonderful… exactly as we are.
now, i invite you, my dear friends, to spend the beautiful month of may with me exploring who you are, through the art of photography and reflection!
if you decide to join me, the only thing i ask is for you to:
- let me know you’re participating – here on my blog (comment below), on belovelive’s new Facebook page, on instagram (@lizslens), or on twitter (@elre74).
- use the hashtag #bllphotoaday on your photos
- try to snap a picture each day & use an original one (no throw-backs, unless you just have to. that’s a part of the challenge)
now, there is no pressure here. if you begin the challenge & then wimp out… no biggie. i’ve done that soooo many times. make it what you want. all i ask is that you give yourself a chance to express yourself. and if it’s not for you, then no prob. if you feel stressed out, skip a day or two & come back to it. it’s all about you – being creative and being you.
not totally on board yet?
ok. well, here’s why i love these photo challenges = what you get out of it:
- the community – if you share your photo,use the hashtag (#bllphotoaday) and explore other people, you will meet some pretty cool fellow artists from all over the world. i guarantee it.
- the juices – creative juices start to flow. overflow, even. you’ll find yourself taking pictures you never thought you’d take. you’ll beging to develop your artist’s eye, and start to see art every freaking where you look. downside: you may annoy people you are with because you want to stop & snap a photo every few feet/meters.
- the roses – looking for a way to capture the theme word for each day teaches you to slow down. to notice things you don’t normally notice because you are usually too busy flitting about. you begin to see that every day holds something beautiful to discover.
save the image on your phone, or on your desktop, or on your facebook page, or bookmark this post. check out the word for the day – all of them are something you can use to reflect on who you are.
now, this list may look challenging. i think it is. i’m a little freaked out by it. plus, let’s not mention how personal and intimate this photo journey is. but, i’m gonna see what i come up with. no need to just take pictures of the same old stuff over & over again, right?
every day you’ll find a word that has something to do with either your heart, your soul, your mind, or your body (not to worry! no body pictures are required!) use the words for each day as a prompt. i’m not gonna give any suggestions for each of the words. i’ll let you interpret them how you will. some are tough. some are not. just snap a shot of something that represents or symbolizes the word of the day. reflect on it a little. it will come to you. and whatever you do, it will be a beautiful expression of you.