sweden wilderness

spending saturday in the woods.

19 Jun 2012

i had no idea how much i needed to get back to nature. ok. perhaps i did. i’ve been longing for it for quite some time, but i wasn’t associating this trip with getting back to nature. i was only thinking of it as work. good work, but work.

until i got there and saw this.

and suddenly i could breathe. i looked around and realized that it was just me & all this beauty around me, and yet i wan’t alone. the trees, the birds, the dirt, the flowers… they always provide me with such company. and i feel grounded. centered. calm. then i realized that i’d be in the midst of this for the next 36 hours. perfect. i was no longer just focused on the work that i would do, but on the fact that i was doing my work in the middle of nature… so this was my time to soak up the simple, organic life for a while. so perfect.

it was a busy, intense, and yet relaxed 36 hours filled with games, fun, quiet moments, rain, sunshine, mud, storms, bugs, water, campfires, food, coffee, devotions, walks, laughter, music, chats, not so much sleep, 16 unbelievably amazing teenagers, and some incredible adults.

this is what i get paid for, people. anyway, here are some shots of a fantastic weekend in the woods.

and so the first day came to a close. to be continued…

peace.

• Reply Carissa 19 Jun 2012 at 16:30

BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Also, in the last picture, the dark cloud looks just like a bird! So cool!

• Reply liz 21 Jun 2012 at 08:34

i had not noticed that! thanks for pointing it out!!!

• Reply Barb 19 Jun 2012 at 20:35

It looks wonderful! Lupines are something I never see here, that I associate with Sweden. They are beautiful.

I wonder if chocolate in bananas should be called “Swedish S’mores”: I think that has a pretty good ring to it.

I thought the dark cloud looked like the dove of peace.

• Reply liz 21 Jun 2012 at 08:36

thanks for your comments, barb! i love to read your reflections on my posts.

• Reply nicmaybe 19 Jun 2012 at 21:18

Wow, these pictures look like from an Astrid Lindgren novel. I loved her books when I was a child :).

• Reply liz 21 Jun 2012 at 08:38

sometimes i am overwhelmed by everything i see here in sweden… can’t believe that it’s real. it is like a fairytale or a story in some places. astrid lindgen is so great! i read them too as a child, well most pippi.;)

• Reply nicmaybe 21 Jun 2012 at 19:53

It’s such a shame I’ve never been to Sweden! It’s really not far from Germany. I’m seriously considering to go there this summer after seeing your beautiful pics :). My favourite was “The children of noisy village”. I always wanted by like them ;).

• Reply Alarna Rose Gray 20 Jun 2012 at 12:05

What a gorgeous way to spend a weekend! And that fire…I could do with one of those right now.

• Reply liz 21 Jun 2012 at 08:42

it had been a long time since i had been beside a campfire. i could’ve stayed all night. 🙂

• Reply i’m busy. hoping to get rich. « be.love.live. 3 Jul 2012 at 00:13

[…] two weeks ago i had a weekend camp retreat for my youth. one of the things that i didn’t mention in my previous posts was a connection i made with two older teenagers from the middle east. the two teenagers live in a group home because they are refugees from their home countries. they’re here in sweden on their own. refugee children. without their families. […]