hello, friends! i sure hope your weekend has been/is great. good news here. today we hit the halfway mark. we have been in uppsala in our little temporary apartment for exactly three weeks now. and, we have exactly there weeks until we move into our new one! needless to say, we cannot freaking wait (for reasons i mentioned in a previous post which you can read –> here). so, i thought i’d reflect on the past three weeks – the days and nights that i’ve spent getting to know uppsala as i have begun to call it my new home. and, i thought i’d share with you a bunch of photos and a few lessons or new bits of info that i’ve learned along the way. so, here we go!
1. i love snow! and uppsala is to die for in the snow.
2. speaking of snow… people actually ride bikes in snow. not this girl, though. but, the mailman does. what?!
3. cathedrals + castles. everywhere i look. magic!
4. there are places i can walk to to get myself out in the woods and among trees. which means, i can survive here in uppsala (not that finding trees is a problem anywhere in sweden – it’s all breathtaking). cuz, you know i am a nature worshipper.
5. being home alone in the silence ain’t all that bad (but i still can’t wait to move and have reliable internet, tv, the comforts of regular first-world life. i own my materialism).
5. uppsala’s sunrises + sunsets. breathtaking.
6. fika fika fika fika. all day. every day. in coffeehouses that also serve chinese food (for real) + in fancy places with little teacups + little dives that remind me of asheville + everything in between.
7. my new fave hangout? the independent, all-english bookshop where i can find a whole section dedicated to the beat generation. have i mentioned i am joining one of their bookclubs?! and that the owner and i are gonna see if we can come up with something that i can do as work there. squeeeeee!
8. the library is my other new best friend.
9. exploring new restaurants + hangout places. some with even a taste of asheville. i’ve just made it a legitimate new hobby.
10. weekends in are like a little slice of heaven. just me + my girl.
now, don’t get me wrong. everything has been a cozy + wonderful + nice… and not at all at the same time. this limbo life is for the birds. my love and i are dyyyying to settle in. we may be settling into uppsala + the swedish way of life again. but, we do not at all feel settled. so, it’s a crazy balance of dreaming about the future (the three weeks from now future) and living in the present moment. i feel like a yo-yo. meditating and being all spiritually calm and such, and just wanting to get the hell out of here and move into a place that we can really call home.
still, i know what i know. and that is…. people say that change is the only certain thing. so, the question is, how are we going to deal with it? cause change can’t always be on our terms or in a way that we like it. our present situation may be bliss one minute and chaos the next. that’s how my life feels right now. bliss + chaos all mixed up into one pot.
but, it’s up to me what i do with that pot of craziness. and i choose to find the good in everything. oh, i accept and feel the crap and the worry and the frustration. hell, i’ve cried i don’t now how many times since moving. and that’s ok. that’s good, even. to feel and acknowledge our feelings is very, very good. but, to get stuck in them and to let them drag me down, that is not good. instead, i believe in living in gratitude. so, i balance my human, slightly selfish tendencies with the knowledge that i am the luckiest person i know. and, i choose to live in that. i choose to live in total, abandoned gratitude for all of the unbelievable opportunities that i have had. i even choose to turn the challenges into more opportunities.
so, with all of that, i can say that, though i am so freaking ready to get out of this apartment and settle down in another one, my days + nights have still been filled with more joy than i can describe, more beauty than i can possible show you. and for that, i am so very grateful.
onwards + upwards! xoxo
* hang on, friends. daily posts will be returning soon! until then… sending you lots of love + light, and thanking you for following.