what do you do when it seems like those dreary fall days begin to settle in? when things feel monotonous. and gray. like every day is repeat of yesterday. and the days get darker as the sun fades from our days. when the carefree spirit of summer is completely gone and the routine of work, school, and life set in. what do you do?
while i love the fall, and it’s canvas of colors on the trees and the ground, and the opportunity to snuggle inside with rain pattering on my window and candles glowing softly, i admit that day after day of that can be rather… well, boring. so, i have decided that this fall i’m gonna tap into my creative side. here’s how i’m gonna spend my time:
- listen to new music (perhaps a fall playlist will be coming soon!)
- write & post more of my story (see “from death to peace” at the top of the page.)
- do little arts & crafts projects (and by little, i mean little & simple. i’m not that crafty. hehe.)
- visit cafes (which i always do, i know. but i love it.)
- read books (i have a h.u.g.e. stack of books by my bed.)
- make hot chocolate. enough said.
- decorate the apartment for the seasons (halloween & thanksgiving)
- snuggle with lina & zola (wife & cat)
- create our thanksgiving dinner menu & invitations
- take long walks
- embrace the season of scarves & boots
- research my blog (is there a theme running through my posts? what is most popular? can i write a book based on my blog?)
- have photo shoots/photo walks
- include some yoga in every day
- keep dreaming. keep listening. keep feeling. keep being.
as i am writing this, i’m listening to a new album. the carpenter by the avett brothers, who just happen to be from north carolina. yeah. love love love it. like a million times over. not just for the music & the instruments. but for the lyrics as well. and of course, for the feeling of home that i get from listening to & seeing them perform. so, for your viewing pleasure, here is the first track on the album:
and if you have spotify, here is the entire album for you to enjoy. i’ve got it on repeat today. perfect for fall:
even though the season is sometimes dreary, and life sometimes feels the same day after day… even though fall is the ending of the year, the last little bit of light & color before the hibernation of winter sets in… it can still be a time of calm, beauty, and hope. autumn is part of the journey, part of the beautiful cycle of the seasons. and just as we have the same cycles in our lives, fall is here to help us to just be. it reminds us to keep plugging through life, to not give up. a time that teaches us, that even though things may be dying around us, there is still beauty. and we still have each other.
Forever I will move like the world that turns beneath me
And when I lose my direction I’ll look up to the sky
And when the black cloak drags upon the ground
I’ll be ready to surrender, and remember
Well we’re all in this together
If I live the life I’m given, I wont be scared to die
~ the avett brothers