life

a holiday, a happy niece, & a hat.

6 Jun 2012

today is sweden’s national day. 24 hours to celebrate being swedish. flags are flying everywhere and many cities have activities for all people, like outdoor concerts, traditional dances, public fikas, and lots of sales in the stores. it is a holiday too, so no work today!! i took part in some of the crazy shopping deals by researching & buying a new tv for our bedroom. yes! (can’t wait for some cozy movie nights & lazy mornings in bed). and i was part of a traditional fika, but not necessarily because of the swedish national holiday…

today was our niece’s first birthday!!! i went to lina’s sister’s home for a little birthday party in the beautiful swedish weather. seems like the weather gods knew that today was important day, so after fall weather for the past 2 weeks, feels like spring came back for the day. we’ll see how long it lasts. anyway, the birthday party… our little niece is so cute. actually all 3 nieces & 1 nephew are. i got to spend some time with the 2 youngest & it was a really great opportunity to enjoy some simple moments of laughter with children. they really are great medicine for the soul, you know.

oh, and i can’t forget the photo of the day:

todays photo challenge: hat. for lunch i went to a pizza/kebab restaurant (which amazingly you find all freaking over sweden) and saw the cool hat that the chef was wearing. ok the hat’s not so unbelievably cool, but i thought it was a pretty sweet shot of him taking someone’s order. and he had a hat on, so it worked.

now it’s late, and it seems that i’m eternally tired these days. time to head to bed & watch a little marathon before falling asleep. i still can’t seem to go to sleep when it’s light out. too weird. i hope your wednesday has been a good one, even if you didn’t have a holiday. as for me, mine was pretty good. but, i still find myself longing for another time & another place… life is a little challenging right now. however, i keep doing my best to not wish the days away, but find what beauty, fun, and soul-touching moments i can. they’re there.

peace. at all times. and in all places.

• Reply Alarna Rose Gray 7 Jun 2012 at 03:46

The Neephs (sorry, sometimes it’s necessary to bastardise the English language) are great medicine, aren’t they? Me – 3 nephews & 1 niece. And I don’t get to see them enough 🙁

• Reply liz 7 Jun 2012 at 10:30

It tough to be far away… I have a “bonus” niece (who turns one in a month, and I won’t be there to celebrate) and my cousin’s (who’s like my sister) son who live in the States. It’s so crappy to not get to see them grow up & be a part of their lives on a regular basis. I feel your pain.

• Reply I love my job (: « Moments of Mezz 7 Jun 2012 at 06:30

[…] grudges just takes my breath away. That is one trait I need to refine in myself. For instance: “….find the beauty, fun, and soul-touching moments” I get so caught up in regrets, worries, wishes, hopes, dreams, anticipations, anxiety, excitement, […]

• Reply Tracy 7 Jun 2012 at 15:30

I love babies…your niece is a doll! Omg- I just love how sweet & loving they are then. Living through two babies who nearly killed me- I am thankful to be supportive of others- lol.

T

• Reply liz 10 Jun 2012 at 09:18

I love babies too, and I have the best of both worlds because I get to play with them & then leave. :)I don’t have to deal with all of the responsibility parts… just be a cool aunt. Hehe.

• Reply Tracy 7 Jun 2012 at 17:46

Music to sooth the springtime~

d/l to your desktop- and you will be soothed away…T

(don’t do the other thing (save online copy) where they want you to pay).

• Reply liz 10 Jun 2012 at 09:19

Thank you for the music, Tracy! I loved it. It did sooth me and make me feel all floaty inside. 🙂

• Reply Laura4NYC 8 Jun 2012 at 00:29

Happy (belated) National Swedish Day! We have a ton of kebab places all over Germany and I heard about the epidemic in Sweden, as well. Do they taste good? I love them in Deutschland!

• Reply liz 10 Jun 2012 at 09:22

Thanks, Laura! Yes, the kebab places are good here too. Love them!

Share your thoughts